When teaching an introductory Revit class I’m often asked ‘where do I begin?’. He is a step by step workflow to help newbies get up and running.
Step 1 – If tracing a design, vectorise drawings (optional):
- To import a raster image in AutoCAD, type ‘XR’ to bring up the External Reference window and select Attach image (*jpg). Scale the image as required and trace.
- To import a raster image in Rhino, go View > Background Bitmap > Place (*jpg). Scale the image as required and trace. Save file as a *dwg for import into Revit.
- If the file is a *pdf, you can open the file directly in Rhino. Save the file as a *dwg for import into Revit.
Step 2 – Clean up the CAD drawings prior to import (optional):
- Delete anything unnecessary, e.g. hatches. The simpler the better;
- Purge unused;
- Audit; and
- Reposition to 0,0,0 if necessary.
Step 3 – Link *dwg plan in to Revit (optional):
- Visibility Graphics (VV) > Model Categories > Site > Project Base Point, and…